Cat scratching post: why is it needed and how to choose?
Ekaterina Kastritskaya, psychologist, specialist in animal therapy, consultant on animal behavior and well-being
Unfortunately, sometimes owners underestimate the role of a cat scratching post, and some owners complain that the cat flatly refuses to use this useful device, preferring to scratch the furniture. Why does a cat need a scratching post and how to choose it to interest a pet?
In the photo: the cat uses a scratching post. Photo: flickr.com
Why does a cat need a scratching post?
Many owners believe that the claw point is needed only for one purpose - sharpening the claws (hence the name of this item). However, purr uses a clawclaw not only for this purpose. So, why do you need a cat scratching post?
- Of course, for sharpening claws.
- Also, a claw-tip is a way to stretch after sleep.
- The ability to relieve stress if the cat is stressed.
- The ability to leave a mark (and both visual - a trace of scratches, and an odor, because there are odor glands near the cat's paw pads). This is very important, because the cat is a territorial animal, and it needs to mark its territory.
How to choose a cat scratching post?
Sometimes owners complain that the cat completely ignores the scratching post. However, this is most likely due to the fact that you did not quite correctly guess the tastes of your pet. How to choose a claw tip so that the cat agrees to use it?
- Exist claws, different in shape and material (cardboard, sisal rope, carpet). All cats have different preferences regarding the material from which the claw-point is made. You can select several pieces, put them in the house and see what material your purl prefers.
- Also important claw point angle: they are vertical or horizontal. For example, a cat who prefers a vertical claw point will most likely not use the horizontal one, but will go to your sofa. But if you notice that your pet likes to “drape” the carpet, then she prefers horizontal claws.
- It is important to claw base was wide enough, and she herself was safe, otherwise this useful device could fall and scare the cat. It is unlikely that after this purr wants to again approach the terrible subject.
Offer the cat several options for claw points to choose from, and for sure one of the suggestions she will like.
In the photo: a vertical and horizontal clawclaw for a cat.Photo: flickr.com
To give an additional attractiveness to the claw-tip, you can treat it with catnip.